Paint is a thick viscous liquid, which after applying a thin layer on the surface creates a thick layer that protects the surface and colors.
Paints consist of three main components:
- binder - this is the main substance that forms the layer, ie. the top layer that remains after drying;
- colorants that give the desired colors to the paints;
- thinners that give the desired density of paints. When they evaporate, the binder dries out and forms the top layer - a film, which is actually the paint as we see it, and which protects surfaces from external influences.
Apart from these three main elements - a variety of different substances are added such as thickeners, antifoams, drying catalysts, fungicides against mold and much more are added.
Types of Paints
According to their purpose:
- external / exterior
Exterior paints are characterized by increased resistance to weathering and especially to ultraviolet radiation.
Another basic division of paints is according to the type of solvent:
- paints with organic solvents (alkyd paints);
- water-based (water-soluble).
Evaporation is the process that causes the paint to harden in both groups. We all remember how until recently we always bought a paint thinner and how unpleasant it smelled. For several years, water-based paints and varnishes have definitely replaced others. This is also a convenience for consumers, because it is much easier to dilute the paint with water (obviously more economically advantageous), and these paints are much more harmless to humans and nature.
By Type of Binder
According to the type of binder, the paints can be:
- water-dispersion (latex). Little is actually known that latex is a solution (emulsion) of natural or artificial rubber;
- mineral - cement and lime.
Vancouver offers a wide range of paints and the main brands are: Dulux, Sherwin-Williams, Behr, Benjamin Moore and others. We can say that these are extremely high quality paints with perfect qualities and high coverage, which reaches 400 sq ft per gallon of paint. As we aim to advise you impartially in the field of construction repairs, we would not like to comment on the various brands, but we would like to advise you to adhere to the maxim "Quality matters". If your budget allows it, it is worth considering these quality paints.